C.V. Starr East Asian Library
Temporary Closure, Summer & Fall 2023
At the Libraries, the safety of our users and the stewardship of our collections are among our highest priorities. We work diligently to ensure reliable access to library collections and spaces, enabling research and scholarship to thrive at Columbia. To that end, following Commencement in May 2023, we will be making necessary upgrades to the C.V. Starr East Asian Library in Kent Hall to install critical fire alarm and fire suppression technologies. This work will require all Starr Library stacks and reading rooms be closed starting the week of May 22, 2023, with Starr’s full reopening scheduled for January 2024.
We are very pleased to announce that access to Starr Library collections and services will continue during this time, with the following modifications:
- Effective May 22, 2023, circulating and non-circulating general collections will be requestable in CLIO and available for pickup at the Butler Library Circulation Desk. Non-circulating general collections will continue to be “In-Library-Use-Only” at Butler.
- Access to general collections will be restricted to Columbia students, faculty, staff, alumni, retirees, and emeriti with an active CUID card. External researchers not affiliated with Columbia will be encouraged to consult their home library to gain access to materials through partner libraries.
- Starting January 20, 2023, all Starr Library collections checked out or renewed will have due dates extended to February 20, 2024.
Rare and special collections:
- Rare and special collections will be served via the Rare Book & Manuscript Library (RBML) in Butler Library by appointment only.
Reference and course reserve materials:
- In consultation with faculty, a selection of the Starr’s reference materials will be identified in Spring 2023 and temporarily placed and made accessible in Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library in May 2023 and throughout the Starr Library closure.
- All course reserve materials for the Summer and Fall Semesters of 2023 will be made accessible in Avery Library.
In-person reference services:
- In-person reference, research consultation, and bibliographic instruction services will continue to be provided by Starr’s librarians in other library locations.
A faculty advisory group was formed in December 2022 to assist the Libraries in planning for this temporary closure. The Libraries will also be engaging with student groups in the Spring semester to ensure the needs of as many user communities as possible are captured. Our planning efforts will center first and foremost around limiting impact on faculty, students, and staff. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we embark on this critically important project to ensure the enduring safety of Starr Library’s users and collections.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.