As announced by the President of Columbia University in April 2020, the 2020-2021 academic year will be comprised of three semesters: Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Summer 2021. The East Asian Languages and Cultures department will therefore offer courses for undergraduate students (and, in some cases, for graduate students) in each of these terms.
This page provides an overview of our course offerings for all three terms, to help students as they make decisions and plans for the academic year ahead. Please note that this schedule may be subject to change, and students are encouraged not only to revisit this page but also to confirm the course listings in the online Directory of Courses and Vergil, where course descriptions and class meeting times will be posted.
Please contact the following people for questions about the courses listed below:
- For undergraduate majors and concentrations: Jungwon Kim, Director of Undergraduate Studies
- For graduate programs: Tomi Suzuki, Director of Graduate Studies
- For general course information: Amber Adams, Academic Coordinator
2020-2021 Year at a Glance
- “Fall” term courses will run the full 14-week term: Tues., Sept. 8, 2020 – Wed., Dec. 23, 2020.
- Course descriptions, as well as specific sections and meeting times, can be found in the online Directory of Courses
- “Spring” term courses will run the full 14-week term: Mon., Jan. 11, 2021 – Mon., Apr. 26, 2021.
- Course descriptions, as well as specific sections and meeting times, will be available in advance of the early registration period in November 2020.
- Please note that the course modality (online, in-person, hybrid) has not been decided yet for the Spring 2021 semester. The department is still awaiting further instruction from the University.
- “Summer A” courses will run during the first half of the term: Mon., May 3, 2021 – Fri., June 18, 2021.
- “Summer B” courses will run during the second half of the term: Mon., June 28, 2021 – Mon., Aug. 16, 2021.