Transfer Credit/Advanced Standing (For students who have already received an MA from EALAC)
Students who enter the PhD program having already received an MA in East Asian Languages & Cultures from EALAC may be eligible for transfer credit. Eligibility is determined by the Director of Graduate Studies in consultation with the student’s academic advisor. During the first semester in which they register, students requesting transfer credit should submit the Application for Transfer Credit form as well as any relevant materials to the Associate Director of Academic Programs. It is critical that students interested in applying for transfer credit schedule an appointment to meet with the DGS and their academic advisor prior to submitting an application. If approved, students should be aware of the following policies related to transfer credit:
- No amount of transfer credit (whether credits or RUs) will affect the number of years of funding guaranteed in the offer of admission.
- Requests for transfer credit must be made by the student and endorsed by the Director of Graduate Studies/Program Director.
- Under no circumstances will undergraduate courses (for Columbia courses, those at the 3000-level and below) be accepted as transfer credit toward a master’s or doctoral degree.
- Students granted transfer credit must have an accelerated timeline for completion of the MPhil and PhD degrees. Students should discuss this timeline with the DGS prior to submitting their application for transfer credit.
- Once granted, transfer credit cannot be revoked.
Students awarded transfer credit must take eight (instead of twelve) one-semester courses for grade credits at least four of which must be graduate-level colloquia or seminars. Specific course requirements may be waived, if taken for the MA, subject to the approval of the DGS. All other requirements remain the same.